- Emory Law Journal, Articles Editor, 1989-1990
- Recognized by Chambers USA, Super Lawyers, The Best Lawyers in America, and various local magazines as a leading lawyer in his field
Mr. Dukes is the managing shareholder of Scott Dukes & Geisler, P.C., and, for more than twenty-five years, he has represented the interests of businesses and professionals in employment related and professional liability claims. Licensed in Alabama, Georgia, and Tennessee, Mr. Dukes defends employers throughout Alabama, the southeast, and occasionally across the country in a wide range of employment related matters, including charges and complaints with the EEOC, NLRB, Department of Labor, and OSHA, and federal and state court litigation. His employment related experience includes employment discrimination and retaliation claims; wage and hour disputes, including collective actions; non-competition claims; and FMLA and other leave-related complaints. Mr. Dukes also provides day-to-day employment advice and guidance to firm clients to avoid employment related claims when possible and, when not, to best posture the client to defend anticipated litigation. In addition, Mr. Dukes provides management and employee training, crafts employment policies and handbooks, and drafts employment agreements.
Mr. Dukes also represents businesses, hospitals, and a variety of professionals in business disputes and defending malpractice claims. His professional liability defense work focuses on mental health professionals and hospitals in malpractice actions, including the defense of wrongful death and sex abuse claims but extends to long term treatment facilities, lawyers, accountants, real estate and insurance agents and brokers, and a variety of other professionals. He is often called on to advise mental health professionals concerning, and to defend alleged breaches of, confidentiality under common law, HIPAA, and 42 C.F.R. Part 2.
Mr. Dukes has served his church in various roles over the years and has taught an adult Sunday school class for the last twenty years. He serves on the Board of Directors for Anonymous Hands (a charity that provides financial assistance to those needing long term sober living) and on the Board of Directors for the not-for-profit Presbyterian Retirement Homes of Birmingham, Inc.
Publications and Presentations
- "Terminating Employees: Practical Applications of Employment Law in Alabama," Presentation at Fundamentals of Employment Law by Sterling Education Services, April 2009
- “Comment: Alcohol Manufacturers and the Duty to Warn: An Analysis of Recent Case Law in Light of the Alcoholic Beverage Labeling Act of 1988," Emory Law Journal, Vol. 38 (1989): 1189-1221
- "Laying the Proper Foundation to Fire a Trouble Employee," co-authored by Kimberly Geisler, Esq., Construction Business Owner, July 2006
- 11th Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Alabama
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Alabama
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Alabama
- Alabama Defense Lawyers Association
- Birmingham Bar Association
- Defense Research Institution