- Phi Beta Kappa
- Alabama Law Review, Senior Editor
- John A. Campbell Moot Court Board
- Labor & Employment Moot Court Team
- North Alabama Federal Bar Association Award for Excellence in Study of Federal Jurisdiction
- Bankruptcy Commercial Law Section Award
- Law Clerk to Senior U.S. District Judge William M. Acker, Jr. (2007-2008)
Mr. Thompson joined the firm after serving as a law clerk to the Honorable William M. Acker, Jr. of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Alabama. Mr. Thompson’s practice focuses on representing business and management in employment and commercial disputes. In addition to representing clients before courts and administrative agencies, Mr. Thompson also advises clients on employment matters with a particular emphasis on issues related to the intersection of disability and leave laws. He also assists employers with strategies to avoid and manage workplace disputes by providing management training and assistance in the drafting of employee handbooks and employment policies.
Publications and Presentations
- ”Employment Litigation in the Age of EPLI: The Defense Perspective," Co-Authored with Kimberly W. Geisler, Esq. for the American Bar Association Employment Rights and Responsibilities Midwinter Meeting, March 2009.
- “The State of Employment Arbitration: An Employer’s Perspective.” Co-Authored with Kimberly W. Geisler, Esq. for the American Bar Association Labor and Employment Law Section Employment Rights and Responsibilities Committee Midwinter Meeting, March, 2011
- “Avoiding Common Hiring Mistakes,” Construction Business Owner, August 2012.
- "ADA and FMLA Updates and Interplay," Presentation at Fundamentals of Employment Law by Sterling Education Services, September 2015 and October 2012.
- “Critical Habitat Under the Endangered Species Act: Designation, Redesignation, and Regulatory Duplication,” 58 ALA. L. REV. 885 (2007).
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Alabama
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Alabama
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Alabama
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- Alabama State Bar
- Birmingham Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Alabama Defense Lawyers Association
- Rotaract Club of Birmingham